The library offers FREE computer classes at the East Branch Family Learning Lab.
Register for classes online (click the class name) or by calling 817-459-6900.
Online Learning Resources
No time to come to a class? Try some of these online resources to jumpstart your computer knowledge:
Practice typing skills on TypingWeb (create a free account) or test your skills on FreeTypingGame.Net
Practice using the mouse: from the very beginning: Introducing the Mouse ; more practice with Mousercising ; and even more practice with this GCF Tutorial ! Here is something for Seniors . And you get to see Abraham Lincoln in this one. Also, en español: ejercicios del ratón.
Look for online tutorials for Microsoft Word, Excel and more near the bottom of the list. Requires that you set up a free account.
Online tutorials on everything from computer basics to social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc). Choose to follow a 'Lesson', click through an 'Interactive', take a quiz in the 'Extras', or watch a 'Video'.
For beginners, we recommend the following sequence:
- Computer Basics - Getting started with desktop and laptop computers.
- Email 101 - Introduction to email basics, etiquette and safety.
- Internet 101 - Tips for browsing and strategies for searching online.
- Internet Safety - Avoid the most common threats and learn how to protect your data and privacy.
- Beyond Email - Chat, Skype, blogging and more.
Online tutorials for Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more. Choose the version for your computer and watch a video, work through a step-by-step tutorial, or build your skills in Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010, or Outlook 2010.
Learning on your Phone
Use these apps to learn something new on the go!