Donations of books and audiovisual materials are gratefully accepted at branch locations. Central Express will not be able to take donations.
All donations are assessed by library staff to determine if they are needed for the library’s collection. Materials not kept for the library are given to the Friends of the Arlington Public Library for their Spring and Fall book sales or recycled. Call your local branch library for more information.
Help stock our eBook and downloadable audiobook collections. Make a general donation or let us know which items you'd like to read next and we'll do our best to purchase them for you (and others) to enjoy!
As a token of our appreciation, we'll put you first on the list to receive the book(s) you fund!
Requested Materials for Library
- Hardcover books in new or slightly used condition. Popular authors and non-fiction less than three years old are especially welcome.
- Trade paperbacks of authors that are not published in hardcover form.
- Audiovisual materials including DVDs, music CDs, and audiobooks on CD.
- On a selective basis, older materials that would be useful in our local history and genealogy collection.
Materials for Friends Booksale
- Paperbacks and Hardcovers in good or better condition.
- Audiobooks on CD or on tape.
- DVDs that fall outside library collection development guidelines and VHS in good or better condition.
- Records free of scratches
We Cannot Accept
Please recycle the following items. If donated to the library, items in this category will be recycled and will NOT be added to the collection OR sent to the Friends for their book sale.
- All magazines
- Paperbacks in poor condition: books that are soiled, torn, yellowed, or missing/loose pages
- Music on tape or 8 track
- VHS tapes in poor condition
- DVDs, VHS, and Audiobooks on CD or tape that are missing components
- Older Reference items such as almanacs over three years old
- Books in the following subject categories over ten years old:
- Books in the following subject categories have different cut-off dates:
- Computers: older than three years
- Consumer Guides: older than three years
- Encyclopedias: older than twenty years
- Law books: older than one year
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books: older than eight years
- Income Tax Manuals: older than one year
- Textbooks: older than eight years
- Travel Guides: older than five years; and
- Vocational Study Guides: older than four years