Share this:


Guide Curator

Shawn Goforth

Shawn Goforth

Email, 817-459-6910

Got ideas?

Suggest an item for this guide

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers will be in the Arlington libraries from February 1, 2014, until April 14, 2014, to help low- and middle-income taxpayers (with special attention to those age 60 and older) fill out their federal income tax returns. AARP Tax-Aide also provides online assistance that includes a list of frequently asked questions and a form to email questions to Tax-Aide volunteers. For more information, please contact AARP directly by calling toll-free, 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669) or visit their website. Tax returns will be electronically filed which promotes accuracy, safeguards information, and speeds up returns.

Times and locations


10 a.m. - 2 p.m. East Arlington Branch starts February 2 (except February 16)


10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.  Lake Arlington Branch starts February 3


10 a.m. - 2 p.m.  East Arlington Branch starts February 4
10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Northeast Branch starts February 4
1-5 p.m.  Southwest Branch starts February 4
1-4:30 p.m.  Southeast Branch starts February 4


10 a.m. - 2 p.m.  Northeast Branch starts February 5
1-5 p.m. Woodland West starts February 5


10 a.m. - 2 p.m.  Northeast Branch starts February 6


10 a.m. -  2 p.m.  Northeast Branch starts February 7


Please bring the following:

  • Government issued identification

  • Last year's tax return
  • Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
  • Checkbook or pre-printed direct deposit information for your reloadable prepaid card showing routing number and direct deposit account number if you want to do a direct deposit of any refund(s).


  • W-2 from each employer
  • Unemployment compensation statements
  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
  • 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
  • 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes
  • 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income

You will need to bring all forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments).

Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:

  • 1098 form showing any home mortgage interest
  • Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services and bills for home improvements, such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
  • Receipts for contributions to charity
  • Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds


  • Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID or Social Security number)
  • Receipts, canceled checks or 1099 forms related to continuing education

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Free volunteer income tax assistance to low and middle income families that may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is offered by Tarrant County United Way and other local partners, including the Lake Arlington Branch. Other Tax Preparation Center Locations, Dates and Times

Mondays and Thursdays from 1-7 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Lake Arlington Branch.

State Income Taxes

Texas, along with six other states, Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington, and Wyoming, do not have a state income tax. If you have lived part of the year in another state, you might have to pay taxes there.