Genealogy and Local History Collection
Genealogy Society Members
Collections are moving!
Due to the closing of the current Central Library and the building of a new library, the genealogy collection will be separated into different locations.
- Genealogy book collection will be shelved at Northeast Branch
- Microform collection will be at our warehouse and need to be requested in order to view
- Local newspapers, phonebooks, city directories and yearbooks will be available at Central Express
- Microform reader and printer will be at Central Express
There will be a short period of transition between the locations when the material will be unavailable.
The Arlington Genealogical Society meets the second Tuesday of every month from September through June at 6:30 p.m. at the West Arlington Police Service Center Community Room at 2060 W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington, Tx. Visitors are always welcome. For more information contact Ruth Goodman.
More information is available on the Central Library Project web page at http://www.arlingtontx.gov/centrallibrary/. This site will offer construction updates, answers to frequently asked questions, calendar events, library history, special features and fascinating vintage photos.
Available from Home
Most genealogy databases can be accessed from home.
The Arlington Journal and The Arlington Citizen from the years 1897 - 1940.
Available at all Library Locations
Ancestry Library Edition
World's largest online resource for family history documents and family trees.
Print Genealogy Collection
Photo: Kellie Ethington
Local history resources
- Obituaries, death notices, and newspaper clippings on local events in our Arlington local history vertical files
- Select Arlington ISD school annual yearbooks
- Historical Arlington City directories and phone books
Arlington Genealogical Society surname index
From all 50 states except Hawaii and various countries, with an emphasis on those places that are important in historical immigration patterns to Texas. Search in our catalog.
Various genealogy resources on microfilm
Map files. World maps sorted by Country and Region; Travel maps by State and City
Copy machines are provided on the first and second floors of the main building. Self-service photocopies are $.10 per page. The photocopiers accept cash and do provide change.
Microprint copy machines
Two machines are available on the second floor of the main building. We have one state-of-the-art microfilm machine that prints to our public printers for $.15 per page.